Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Critique: Cover for Barber Shop Feature


This past week my cover group was up for art selection by the editors. The cover story was about the tradition of barber shops that has been kept alive in Columbia. A few of the shops opened back in the 40s, and barber shops have a nostalgia of back-in-the-day. Images that come to mind are Downtown Disney (and Main Street USA), Hello Dolly and TV Land. I wanted to convey this feel of tradition through images that were nostalgic and reminiscent of that time. I feel good about my design. The colors are bold and it is a little kitschy, and it goes well with the character of Vox Magazine.

I believe every designer has his or her own style. My designs are typically more playful, delicate and sweet. Back in Oklahoma, my mom has an old boot box filled with drawings from when I was a child. There is a drawing I did for LTC (Leaderships Training for Christ) of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace. I was in 5th grade when I drew the scraggly men with my colored pencils. The furnace and men are smack in the middle of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper – white space all around. My mom loves it because she says, "it's charming."

Vox is snarky, not charming. My designs are charming.

The design is about the story – content driven design. My challenge for myself is to push the envelope and take on the Vox voice in my design while creating content driven designs. As I work on future designs for Vox I intend to be in a dialogue with the editors and writers working on the story so that the design and can have a stronger concept. It's easy to stick with designs that are familiar. I need to put a little sass in my sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment