Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Response: There is a first time for everything

As the saying goes, there is a first time for everything. This past weekend was my first time to design my department for Vox. I design Short Talk – a front of book department that cover a range of topics each week.

Learning PlanSystem was easy; it was really helpful to go over that in class so that it wasn't over whelming when I went to pick up materials. I originally planned on taking the design elements on a jump drive and working from home, but seeing as the magazine office operate with CS4 and I am still on CS3, I figured it would be best not to change the format of the page file.

The change of plan ended up working out really well for me. I work in the mag office on Saturday. Nobody was there, and I was able to focus on my department without distractions from home. Plus, I was able to get a true estimate of the amount of time designing my department would take.

The department pages are due on Sunday; designers have to sit down with the art directors and go through the pages to make sure everything fits the style guide. The art directors are very helpful. This was a great first time department designing experience for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment