Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Response: Designer Magazines

I really enjoyed looking at the magazines for designers in class yesterday. I have seen magazines a bookstores that are design and graphic arts related, but I've never purchase one. Well, I purchased a copy of CMYK once. Design magazines expensive. They really do serve as a showcase of work but also a source of inspiration. I enjoyed hearing John Fennell's story about working for Step by Step; it was interesting to hear what the original mission of the magazine was and how it has since developed and established itself as a good, and more affordable, design magazine.

I'm fascinated with the differences in aesthetic sensibilities between American and European magazines. The layout and type choices are different, the illustrations and even the finish on the paper is vastly different. American magazines are great, but alot of the work I've found while following magculture blog comes form Europe, especially the UK, and is remarkable. After I traveled to Europe over Christmas break with a group from the Journalism School, I decided that I wanted to travel and even live abroad for some amount of time. Now that I've been exposed to European art and magazines, I think it would be fun and a great experience to work at a fun publication abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment